Monday 1 August 2011

How to make a Medieval Bride and Groom Wedding Cake Topper

Medieval Bride and Groom Wedding Cake Topper
Are you having trouble finding a medieval bride and groom for the top of your wedding cake? I was. My husband to be was going to be dressed as a knight, and I was going to be a princess with long pointed sleeves and a crown. I trawled the internet looking for a suitable bride and groom to adorn the wedding cake, but I couldn’t find anything that I liked.

I did however find websites offering to make personalised cake toppers with prices starting from £150. What I did like about this idea was that the bride and groom are based on you; your colours, your costumes and your design. This sounded perfect except for the price.

After further searching I found a blog that customised salt and pepper pots to make personalised bride and groom cake toppers. This is where I got my idea to make my own bride and groom based on the salt and pepper pot shape and simple-ness, made from air drying clay.

To make a personalised medieval bride and groom cake topper you will need ..

A block of DAS air drying clay in white, Air drying clay doesn’t need firing.
Humbrol enamel paints,
Paint brushes,
Stick on daimante gems and maybe some Organza or fabric from your dress.

DAS is the original non cracking air drying clay; it can be drilled, sanded, painted and varnished, so it is perfect to make your medieval wedding cake bride and groom.

To start with I created the basic pepper pot shape. The bottom is a short stubby cone shape with the point cut off. If you start off with a chunky sausage, and then roll one end to be a bit slimmer. Stand it with the slimiest end up.

Then I rolled a ball for the head, and fixed it on top.

This is the basic shape for both the bride and the groom.

From there I rolled smaller sausages for arms, and slimmer sausages still for the hair and crown.

For the knight’s helmet, roll some clay out flat with a wooden rolling pin. I cut a strip of clay, with some slight shaping at the mouth. Wrap this around the head, and cut out a circle for the top of the helmet.

The knight’s cape was also cut from a rolled out piece of clay. I ‘gathered’ the cape a bit at the back so that it gave the appearance of cloth.

The shield is also cut from rolled out clay.

The sword I made from slightly squashed sausages.

I did have problems getting all the clay to stick together and as it dries some parts did break off. Don’t worry about this if it happen to you. Simply use some super glue to stick back together when the clay has dried.

Because the bride and groom are quite chunky, they do take a week or so to completely dry. Once dry you can paint. Painting your medieval bride and groom is time consuming because you have to keep waiting for the paint to dry, and you can only really paint one colour at a time.

After painting you can other embellishments to make the toppers look more like you. I stuck on daimante gems to the bride where I would be wearing a crystal necklace, and I also added daimante gems to my toppers crown.

With a small piece of organza and fur fabric I made the bride a cape which was similar to the one I was going to wear on the day.

One thing to bear in mind if you are making your own personalised bride and groom is that you need to prevent the real groom from seeing your cake topper bride, otherwise they will know what you are going to wear for your big day, and you don’t want to spoil the element of surprise.