Thursday 11 November 2010

Pine Cones in Crochet

Crochet Pine Cone PatternBy Robbie White

I seem to go a little "nuts" every holiday. I suffer from a severe case of obsessive craft behavior. Holidays can become a real danger to me because I can't wait to try out new things. I craft and decorate each room in the house.

And each year all the decorations are different! (come on now,if I saved them all---well,that would be INSANE!) So I start each one about 6-7 weeks (or sometimes even months) before the date and begin crafting.

This year was no exception. I started making crocheted pine cones to dangle from my living room curtains, which led to making fall foliage swags for them, which led to intertwining them with Halloween garland, which led to... well, I'm going to share with you how to make the pine cones.(by the way, they make great ornaments at Christmas and I've used them to decorate holiday gift baskets as well)

Pine cones in crochet

You'll need:

yarn of your choice,any color you desire and any ply---remember the larger the ply the larger the pine cone
Size H crochet hook or any other size you choose

Ch 1 5, leaving a long yarn tail at the start.
*Dc in 3rd ch from hook, ch 3, sl st in first chain to make a picot. Repeat 3 more times in the same stitch
Repeat in each of the remaining chains of the original chain.
In the last ch finish off after the last dc. Leave a long yarn tail.
Tie the two tails together to form a hanger.

Well, there you have it. It's a very easy pattern and extremely versatile. I used it for all sorts of projects. You can enhance gift boxes, baskets or bags.

Add them to wreaths and dangle them from garland or doorways or curtains or anything. They make great ornaments on your Christmas tree, too. I've made different colored ones---variegated yarn, bulky yarn, 4-ply worsted. Gold crochet thread makes tiny, elegant ones!

Give it a try! Let me know what you came up with.

I have been active in the arts and crafts world. I have been doing this for over 30 years.
I have taught classes for several youth groups and also adults.
I have also owned and operated a craft, Robin's Nest, business from my home for over 30 years. I design and make crafts of all mediums for custom orders.
I especially enjoy working with children

Check out http://www.justcrafttalk.com